Friends, Memorial Bullride, and Nate.

Two Saturdays ago, we made the trip to Manhattan for two things: to see our dear friends the Kilgore's and to watch the Brett Cushenbery Memorial Bullride.



For those of you who don't know, Brett and Nick used to work together and became quite close. Especially, when Nick owned his own business and it was just him and Brett most days. Brett passed away in October of 2003 during a bullride he was participating in. This was really one of the first death experiences Nick or I had had as adults that touched so close to home. It hit us pretty hard to say the least. Nick tries to attend the Memorial Bullride every year, as for me, this was my first time going and bringing the boys. It was awesome...why hadn't I gone before??

Nate was super pumped. He loves cowboys, rodeos, bullriding, and everything else in between. He was dressed for the occasion and a little upset with me for not wearing MY boots, but what could I do...K-State was playing KU that day in Manhattan and I felt it necessary to wear my tennis shoes while I showed my team spirit...

I was a little worried about Landen and how he would do being up this late and NOT being able to sit still, but that really wasn't the case at all. He did great!

Nate had his eyes glued on the bulls and cowboys the whole time...he was taking it all in. He kept saying, " I want to do this when I grow up!" YIKES! I think my eyes were like saucers, but told him he would be great at it...he has few years to change his mind...or vice versa.

This is AJ. One of Brett's bestfriends. It was HIS idea for the Memorial Bullride and he organizes everything each year. How awesome is that? To have a friend care for you that much he would do something so great in your honor. The horse without a rider symbolizes Brett's absence...I cried.
When the flag came around the arena I didn't even have to tell Nate to take his hat off...he did it all by himself and put it over his heart like all the other cowboys. So cute.
This is Brett's mom, Yvonne. I love her. I used to work with her at the hospital and she is just one of the sweetest people I know. She sings the National Anthem at every memorial.
Let the bullriding begin! You can honestly feel the excitement and anticipation in the air after a very heartfelt moment.


This bull was one of the meanest old things...he even chased the horses.
Can you even imagine how hard it would be to stay on one of those things?!
HOLY buckets!! How do I tell Nate without discouraging him that he will NEVER be aloud to do this?!

We did end up having to get Landen a snack to keep him occupied...

This was a two handed job. He acted like he was starving...well, he probably was since he refused to eat a fabulous supper that the Kilgore's made for us all because he just a bit too excited to be there.
Nate couldn't get enough of the action...he had to get closer.

His mini me was soon to follow...

Oh my lands, that is a long ways down to fall...

This appears to be safer...Nate can run fast. How about a clown Nate?

Yep, I don't think so Nate. You will have to sedate me...end of discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin